Adams County History & Genealogy

Adams County, Ohio Articles



This autobiography was written by Lemuel Glasscock about 1840 while he was in prison in West Union, Adams County Ohio. Lemuel's book is part of the Library of Congress rare books collection and as far as I know it is the only existing copy. It was collected in 1870 by the library.

The original has some damage that makes it difficult or impossible to read some of the words. I have left the spelling and punctuation as it was written. I did capitalize all names for the benefit of researchers. I also have included notes in parentheses in italics.

The original book was printed with different size fonts, probably because it was printed in a small print shop, in Maysville Kentucky about 1841, with limited typeface; this is why some pages have more or less print on them, I kept the words on the same pages as the original book. This page in the original book was blank.

Lemuel was later released from prison, I do not know under what circumstance, and moved his family to Lewis County, Missouri, where he remained until his death. Date of death undocumented as of this date. Lemuel Glasscock was my third-great grandfather.

LEMUEL GLASSCOCK, a son of PETER GLASSCOCK and SARAH his wife, was born in Fauquier county, Virginia, on the 16th of May, 1801. My father being a house carpenter and a poor man, about five years from my birth, concluded to quit the business and try some other occupation for a livelihood. He finally did so, and moved over what is called the Blue Ridge mountain, in Jefferson county, Va (now WV). On a small stream called Blue Skin (Bullskin Run). He there got in with a man by the name of HENRY GANT, to be overseer for him, and remained in his employ three or four years. By this time he had gained right smart to the world. My mother had two children living, my sister HARRIET and myself, having lost several. She being in bad health, the doctor advised her to take a child and raise it and finally one was brought to her. The child was about two weeks old and my mother took it and raised it. About this time my father had a better offer made him in Frederick county, by a man named ORR, a doctor, and he accepted it. He was to get a certain share of the crop, and he raised abundance of wheat, and grain then demanding a high price he picked up in the world very fast. About this time I was sent to school. I was yet a small and mischievious boy, and cared nothing about learning. My father's time with ORR, with whom he had lived for years, being up, and his name of being a good farmer was also up and was spread all through the country far and wide. And now the rich men of that country was anxious to get him to do business for them. Now Judge WASHINGTON (Justice of the Supreme Court Bushrod Washington), guardian of JOHN A. and BUSHROD C. WASHINGTON, his nephews, who had very large estates left them hearing my father was a good farmer and sober man, employed him to farm the young men's estates. Their farms were in Jefferson co; on the road leading from Charles Town to Winchester. The farm my father lived on lay near a place called the white house (White House Spring, near Summit Point WV) , about three miles from the other two farms. I think he had about three hundred negroes under his notice. He received a certain share of all that was raised on each farm. I remember he drew at one place the tenth, at another the eleventh, at another the twelfth of all that was raised on the farm. He had considerable money to loan but on interest. My sister and I were kept at school as the school house was very handy to my father's. I was a very mischievous boy and did not like to go to school as my bad conduct occasioned a frequent application of the birch necessary. It did but little good however, for if I got off with one whipping a day I did remarkably well. About this time my sister ELIZABETH was born. There were then four of us with the one who was adopted into the family. She appeared as dear to me as any of the rest, and in fact there was no difference made by my parents between us. About this time the war between Great Britain and America. My father now joined the old regular baptist church. He then held family worship in his house regularly. He would often talked to me, and told me of the goodness of God, and how God loved good boys and girls who obey their parents and love him and keep his commandments, and love to read good books, and go to meeting, and behave themselves well while there, and pay strict attention to what the preacher says. He also told me, also what became of bad boys, who disobey their parents, who do not love God not keep his commandments, but go on sinning against a most holy just and merciful God. He would offer up prayers in my behalf. But it appeared as if it were all in vain, for, when out of his sight I was as bad as ever. He never permitted me to swear. If he heard of my having done so I was sure to catch a drubbing. I never heard him swear or utter a profane word.

Some time in 1814 or '15, I was afflicted with the white swelling to my right ancle, which stopped me from going to school, and kept me under the doctor's hands for a long time. They told me I was out of my senses, and the doctor thought they would have to cut off my leg and ??? it to my father, who told him to save it as long as he could, for says be??? a ???? of a foot is better than none. He paid the doctor $50 ??? ??ing for attending upon me. When I got better there were thirty six small s???? of bones come out of my ancle, and for near two years I went to school on crutches. At school I was kept whenever I was able to go and badly enough I hated it. I was put a English Grammar and hated it so bad I hid my book and said I lost it. They talked of sending to town to get me another book. I thought I might as well get my old on as to put them to the trouble of getting a new one. The teachers name was EDWARD HALY. He was so severe that I seldom passed a day without a whipping. Whilst writing a circumstance which happened about this time recurs to my mind. I concluded within myself not to be abused any longer. So I got me a butcher knife and made a scabbard for it, and carried it inside my vest concealed from any one, and set a firm resolution that if the teacher under took to whip me that day, to kill him. I was so determined to kill him that I never once attempted that morning to get my task in grammar. When we came to school we were as usual called on to recite. When the teacher asked if I had the lesson I answered boldly, No sir! He did not request the reason as he had always done before, nor did he keep me in at play time. I have often times thought of that circumstance and do believe a kind providence prevented him from whipping me that day and me from carrying the knife any more: for I lay and studied about it that night and saw it would not do. I left my knife at home ever afterwards. The next day I went to school but did not escape a drubbing. I formed a resolution within myself if I ever lived to be a man to compensate EDWARD HALY, if his head was as white as a sheet, for his kindness to me when a boy. Now my dear readers, in 1825 I had the pleasure of seeing Mr. HALY. I was then 23 years old I had moved a family from Harrison co. Ky. To Frederick co. After visiting some time among my relations and friends I started home and concluded to take Harpers Ferry in my route. That night I put up a William's Hotel and next morning I rose very early and walked out in the porch and the first man I saw was EDWARD HALY; and I knew him very well although it had been nearly ten years since I had seen him. The promise I had made came into my mind. I thought in a moment it will never so to fulfil that promise. For at that time I was young and called very stout, having a short time before whipped the bully of that county. I walked up to him and said good morning, Mr. HALY. Says he, "sir, you have the advantage of me." "O no sir, I reckon not. Do you not remember the boy you used to whip so much at the White house when you taught there?" I expect he saw something in my countenance that was not right. Says he, "is this LEMUEL GLASSCOCK?" "Yes sir." "Really." Says he. "You have grown out of my knowledge. LEMUEL, you were a very bad boy." "Yes sir, but you whipped me often when I did not deserve it." "Yes but often when you did deserve it I did not whip you, so the accoun's about balance. Let's take some bitters."

After washing I went into the bar room with him and drank good friends and parted.

My father kept me to school constantly about the time the soldiers were marching to Norfolk. I yet had to go on crutches, and wanted to go with them but my mother made the negroes bring bring me back. Had my health permitted I would have gone, in spite of my parents.

Shortly afterwards Mr. MEEK moved to West Union (OH), I remember a circumstance that took place before Mr. MEEK moved away. I was working with my horsed in his barn yard and got in a pet and used words that I ought not to have used Mr. MEEK thought it was his duty to chastise me. I did not like it and you may depend my answer was not such as one he should have been returned to a preacher giving me good advice. My father sold his road wagon for $175, and his negro woman for $500. In the fall of 1818 he went into Logan co, Ky, and bought 365 acres of land and was to give $1110 for it. What amount he paid down I do not know, but he did not pay all. At that time he got out of the notion of moving into Kentucky and gave his papers into JOHN WILKIN'S hands, to sell or trade for land in Ohio. My mother and myself were very much opposed to trusting it in WILKIN'S hands but whenever I said any thing to father about it he would say "whenever I want to do any thing my wife or children are against it." I then desisted and WILKINS cheated him out of his land. All he ever got for it was a rifle worth $87.50 and one barrel of cider. WILKINS was man of property but he put it all out of his hands so it could not be come at, and so it stands to this day. In the spring of 1819 my father built a house on Mr. JOHN LANEY'S land, joining Mr. MEEK'S place and there remained some years. He and myself turned in to making wheat fans and trunks. We also made considerable by Wagoning, for wagons were very scarce in this country at that time. My father was a very industrious man and a man who strove hard to bring his family up in credit though he had become poor through the rascality of others. It is the worst plan in the world to trust too much to other people's honors.

Now in the spring of 1821, I was taken down with the pleurisy and lay under the doctor's hands for some time. It was not expected that I would live; in fact the doctor gave up all hopes, but through the kind and tender mercies of God my health was restored to me. When I got well it appeared as though I had been in a dream. The reason was I suppose, because I had been out of my senses the greater part of the time during my sickness. I promised to do better for the future, but soon became as bad as ever. My old grandfather who lived about a quarter of a mile from my father's, would often talk to me and give me good advice. He was at that time eighty years of age and had been one of the first Baptists in Virginia; but it appeared that as much advise as he gave me was all to no purpose. Like young people generally I cared nothing for advice, and thought it would be time enough to serve the Lord when I got old. At that time, it is true, I was very wicked but I made but very little use of spirituous liquor, though my father always kept it since my first remembrance. He could scarcely ever get me to taste a drop of it unless it was sweetened, I would then sometimes take a dram. But, dear reader, it is a growing evil, and in the course of a few years I became very fond of it, and when I got in good company, as I considered it, would drink a little too much; and wagoning and boating is the worst business a young man can go at for they get into all sorts of company particularly bad company. In 1822, my father moved to ROBERT SIMPSON'S place. We rented land of JAMES TAYLOR, and LEWIS JONES, which we put in corn. We had to go a great ways to attend it, but raised a great deal of corn, but the squirrels destroyed several hundred bushels of it for us. We put in a very large crop of wheat on SIMPSON'S place and raised a tremendous crop in the fall of 1822. My uncle WM. HAINES moved out from Va. and stopped at my father's some time. He rented a farm in Harrison co. Ky. on a creek called Little Beaver, about eight miles from Cinthian. When he got ready to move he had nobody to drive his team so he got me to go with him. But before we got off my grandfather died. I think he was about 89 years old. My uncle bad but four horses and I put in one of our own and moved him over to Kentucky. Being of age my uncle proposed to me to come and live with him and join teams and to wagoning. I had lived with my uncle, when a boy going to school. I readily took him up at his offer. I remained with him some time and hauled him wood and corn and meat and other necessaries, for he knew nothing about driving wagon himself. I came back to Ohio, and fixed my affairs to return to Ky. I left home on the 14th of feb. I shall never forget that day, for I had been sparking the night before and had to part from my sweetheart that morning, and the snow fell all day, and the weather so cold as nearly to freeze me. I traveled on until I got to Lieking river at the mouth of Big Beaver. The river was frozen over and the ferrymen were cutting a way across it for the boat to go. I got my horse across at last and took some refreshment and started to my uncles and got there that evening. I turned to wagoning and made considerable money for myself and also for my uncle. When ploughing time came on I had to stop my team and put in a small crop of corn for he knew but little about managing horses. After that I went to wagoning again. Some time during this spring there was a application made to me to go on a trip to South Carolina with a load of bagging. I came over to Ohio to see my parents and sweetheart, for I was then very much in love with a girl and to be parted six months went very hard with both of us. So hard was it parting with her and father and mother and sisters and brother, that I cared very little about the trip to South Carolina. My father went with me as far as the bars and thus advised me. "My son, you are going to leave me. Remember that one thing needful. I never allowed you to fight. Now let me give you a piece of advise. Never, as long as you live, impose upon an old man, nor a drunken man, nor see one imposed upon." I returned to Ky. I could get no team to go with me to the south, so I gave out the notion of going. My uncle and his family became dissatisfied and concluded to move back to Virginia in the fall. This was in 1823. He wanted me to drive his team for him and I agreed to do it. He sold out in September and wound up his business and we started for Va. We crossed the Ohio at Maysville, and stayed a few days at my father's. We had a beautiful time. Our journey lasted twenty three days and we had not a drop of rain during the whole trip. There was great rejoicing among my friends and relations, for we had been separated nine years. I turned into work with my uncle, JOHN WARE, at the carpenter's trade. He had under taken to frame a grist mill and saw mill. We framed them and raised, and I made the shingles and put the most of them on . I then undertook to attend my uncle's mills, for one or two months and after that turned into work for a man by the name of MILTON, at the Shannon Dale Springs. Here I got among my old school mates, and it is the greatest place for mirth I ever saw. In 1824 Mr. MILTON and myself built a barn for a man by the name of JAMES ROPER. I knocked around and made a great deal of money but spent it about as fast as I made it. There was to be a camp meeting about ten miles from where I lived and having taken a load of flour down to Alexandria, myself and partner bought a load of water melons to take there, now to tell the truth it was not to hear the preaching that took me there and the more is the pity. I returned home again and went to work for the widow CARLOW. During the spring season I became very well acquainted with the young ladies through that part of the country and when I talked of coming back to Ohio they could not bear the thoughts of parting with me; for indeed I was a great toast among them. I did not like to leave some of them myself but I was too far from home to marry. Most of my relations thought I would not go back to Ohio, and would not believe it until they saw me put off. One of my sweethearts was so loth to part with me that she held to me clear across the yard and then I had to break loose from her. You can depend this went very tough with her. I hope she has done well for she was a pretty girl. I came into Frederick co. (MD) to my uncles WM. HAINES, and PHILIP ARHEARTS and stayed there a few days and then started for Ohio. On the second day I engaged with a man to drive his team across the mountain to Wheeling. When we got there the river was so low steamboats could not run. There was a keel boat loading for Louiseville and I would willingly have worked my passage down the river; but when I went on board the captain had but two hands and wanted to hire and said he would give 37 cents per day. I very readily took him up at his offer, but if I had been cunning I might have got full wages for I was tolerably good at boating. We were nine days coming down to Maysville. After we landed I saw my father's wagon coming down the river bank to come across to Maysville. A neighbor, JOHN W. GAMES had borrowed the wagon to bring over a load of marketing. The captain of the boat was a gentleman for he paid me all he agreed to and more and offered me a year's work at good wages. But I wanted to go home, so when Mr. GAMES got through with his marketing I was ready. So we came on out to his house and it was into in the evening and I wanted to come on to my father's but he insisted on my staying for he was going over in the morning. So in the morning we started to my father's and when we got there, there was great rejoicing. I had been gone upwards of a year. Some time was spent by me in visiting my old neighbors and acquaintances, I then turned in with my father and help him about getting in his crop and next spring he wanted me to crop with him, which I agreed to. I was to get a third part of his share. A man by the name of SAMUEL SWEARINGREN lived a nigh neighbor to my father and he had a couple of very fine daughters and I went to see one of them and fell in love with her, and concluding I had run about long enough married her in September 1825. I rented a place of WM. PENCE, and put in a large crop of small grain. We went to house keeping that fall, agreed very well and all things went very smoothly, for I considered my wife as "the fairest among ten thousand and all together lovely." Our oldest daughter, HARRIET LOUISA; was born on the 16th of January 1826. In April I had a logrolling and asked a good may of my neighbors and my wife had a spinning frolic and asked a good may girls. When work was w?? ??? the ??? and girls came together to have a play, and during the evening ??? ??? ??? ??? ?men to get their hides filled with whiskey, for they knew I had ??? ??? ???? threw one or two of the girls on the bed and was playing with them when SAMUEL BOWMAN took hold on me by the heels and jarred me considerably ?? unexpected and threw him on the floor. BOWMAN hated to be thrown where there were girls about. NATHAN BOWMAN, his brother, stepped up and said something in behalf of SAMUEL, which made me mad and I ordered him out of the house, and he ???sery high and I being full of whiskey, went out to him, and we yoked very quickly, I bit his lip nearly off and he gouged my eye out. I suffered enough in ??? ???? ???, and for seven or eight days hardly ate or slept. Shortly after ploughing time came on, and I in this fix. Not able to see, without means to hire, my horses so wild few could work them, my wife beggered my children starving I but through a kind Providence I made out to get my crop in which turned but very well. My friends and especially my dear parents begged me to quit drinking. I was a little more cautious for some time. It was some time before my eye got entirely well. Some people advised me to put the law in force against BOWMAN, but I did not for he was my brother in law, we having married sisters (Drucilla Swearingen), and I knew whiskey was the principal cause of it. So we made up the breach and became as friendly as ever, and all things went on smoothly again. We continued on this place until the spring of 1827, and there being in the neighborhood 3000 acres of unoccupied land, called HUMPHREY BROOKS' survey, my father and myself concluded to move on it and improve it, thinking when the owner came he we could show us some favor as we were poor men. We built a house a piece, moved into them and turned in o hard labor. Our second daughter, MARY JANE, was born in December 1827.

On the 19th of January following our house was burned down. But thanks be to Providence we were all out of it at the time. I was at work at a sugar trough about a quarter of a mile from the house. Shortly previous I had been at the house and my wife said she was coming to my father's. After I got through with my trough I looked up towards the house and saw a great fire. My first thought was that my wife had set the brush heap which was hear the house on fire, but recollecting that she had said she was going away, I turned to my father and two young men from Virginia, who were with us, and saying my house is on fire, broke for it. The door was locked and the blaze of the fire coming through its joints. The whole top of the house which contained all my meat, corn and wheat, was burned and it was with difficulty, I saved my wagon which was standing near the house with some thirty or forty bushels of bran in it. Every thing was burned. Not a stitch of clothing was saved. Not a coat, nor a hat, nor any other article of clothing except what we had on our backs was left to any of us.

This accident, as you may judge, was quite disheartening, but thanks to my kind neighbors I was soon on my legs again; for they contributed liberally of their substance, and turned in and put me up a cabin, and left us in nearly as comfortable circumstances as we were before the accident happened. I turned in to clearing land again, and was obliged to sell two colts to pay my debts. I still continued to drink whiskey and very often got drunk and sometimes would fight. My father expostulated with me again and again, but all to no purpose. I raised a first rate crop this year. We all get in a great notion of moving off to Illinois. That fall I sold most of my property but my father having a good many hogs concluded to fatten them and gather his corn and settle up his other business. So I took his family by land and he was to come by water and bring the heavy lumber to St. Louis, from which place it was to be hauled to Springfield (IL), Sangammon county. Some time late in October we started. My brother in law, HENRY S. GAMES; lived near Frankfort, Ky. and as he was going to Illinois, would have us come by that way so we could all go together. This was more than a hundred miles out of my route, but as my sister would not consent to go unless we did so, we went there, having remained here a few days we started and went on to Louisville, and crossed the Ohio at New Albany. A few miles from this place we had the severest pulling we had ever come across, over what is called Albany hill. This hill is half a mile from the bottom to the top. Two men went with us to see us pull up the hill and they said we would be obliged to double teams. I told them my horses were all true and if a team had ever pulled over it, mine would go it! But you may depend it was severe pulling. When we got to Vineenues we crossed the Wabash river. Here are two roads, the straight road and the shortest to Vandalia, is called the purgatory road, and from all accounts must be the worst road in the fall or spring , that ever man traveled. Even in Kentucky, we were advised to shun that road and also the Vandalia swamps. We took the left hand road at New Marysville and went on to Carlisle within fifty miles of St. Louis, and there turned to the right and went to Springfield. This is the prettiest country I ever saw and also the richest land. My brother in law's father ABSOLOM GAMES, lived east of Springfield about fifteen miles, on the north fork of the Sangamo River. So when at Springfield we struck out for that place. When we came on the main Sangamo river, we found the ferry boat very bad, and being heavily loaded I was afraid to risk it. So I took out one of my horses and tried the ford. Although it was tolerably deep I preferred it to the old boat. The women and children were taken across in the boat, and I, by hard pulling, succeeded in crossing the ford. My brother thought, as he was not heavily loaded, be would try the boat and being as awkward driver, made a false motion getting into the boat, and his saddle bag fell down, and his saddle fell into the river. He and the ferryman were both so frightened they knew not what to do. I took one of my horses out and went to them and backed their horses out and persuaded to ford it. We went to his father's that day. Winter now set in and empty houses were scared, but I had the good luck to get one, and good luck it was for there were so many people moving to that country that many were obliged to camp in the timber and erect some sort of shantee to winter in. My brother in law's father gave his son eighty acres of land and gave me privilege to build on his land and live there so long as I pleased by taking care of the land. So my brother in law and myself built each of us a cabin and we moved into them. Our third daughter, SARAH, was born on the 6th of March 1830. Shortly after this the old Mr. GAMES died, he was a sincere Christian and died triumphing in the hope of a glorious immortality beyond the grave. He suffered much in his last sickness, yet not a murmur nor a word of complaint escaped him. "Thy will, O Lord, be done," was his constant exclamation. Often did he desire to see my father, for though not related being close friends in youth, they were dear to each other as brothers. This was in the spring of 1830, and my father did not reach there until some time late in July. He appeared to be very sorry that he did not get to see Mr. GAMES before he died. My mother had rented a house about one mile from SAMUEL COX'S at whose house Mr. GAMES died. My brother in law and myself lived about five miles from this place. My wife had not yet got well, having recently had a child. But very few had settled yet near where we lived and it was with difficulty I was enabled to get any land to put in corn. I at last obtained six or seven acres of land about five miles from home, and raised a noble crop of corn. Some time in the last of June or first of July I was taken sick with the fever and was very bad for some time. I got better and myself and wife went down to my mother's and whilst there I relapsed, and lay under the doctors's hands some two or three weeks, and it was thought I would never get over it.

But God through his tender mercies, raised me to my feet again, and about this time my father returned and you may depend there was great rejoicing. My father was very much pleased with the country, and he said such as were not pleased with this country, ought not to live in any country. But alas poor man! he know not it was so sickly. Shortly after that my poor old mother and all the rest of the family were taken sick; some with the fever and some with the fever and ague. The sickness prevailed all through the neighborhood, so much so, that it was a thing almost impossible to find enough persons in good health to attend upon the sick. My father was taken sick with the chills and fever and the fever fell on his lungs and he lasted but a few days. I was just able to ride about and had been down to see him, two or three days before his death. He was at work hanging some scythes. I enquired how all were; and he said he was well but very week. Son, says he, I want to tell you some thing and desire you to keep it to yourself. Just as he said that I looked around and saw a neighbor riding up to us, and says my father some other time will do. But the next time I saw him he was speechless and dying. The day of his death I was at the mill and news was brought me that my father was dying! When I got my grinding, I came by to see him. What a distressing sight met my gaze! My poor old father lying on one bed dying, and my mother on another not expected to live from one hour to another, and on a third a sister and brother very sick! My dear reader, you may imagine my feelings at that time. No tongue can express, or pen describe them. After a short time I was obliged to leave, to go home and attend to my own helpless family. Next morning my brother in law started to see them, and went past THOMAS SWEARINGEN'S, my wife's cousin, and enquired how there child was, and was told it was dead. SWEARINGEN, himself, had no idea his child was in any danger, and had gone over to my father's to see how they all were. We went down and found my fathers corpse; my mother and the rest were on the mend. We had a sad duty to perform in communicating to SWEARINGEN the news of his child's death. We buried my father near his old friend Mr. GAMES, who had desired him often in his last sickness. I trust they have had a joyful meeting in Heaven, where they will never more part but continually praise the Lamb of God, that taketh away the sins of the world, in songs of rejoicing, forever and forever more! God through his tender mercies restored us all to health again. We had a very hard winter, for the snow fell four feet and half deep on an average and lay on from January till March. The stock suffered severely, for nearly all the hogs that run out in the woods perished and abundance of deer and turkeys starved. There were several crusts on the snow so that deer could be caught with dogs wherever people could come across them, and it was almost impossible for people to travel with a horse even to go to mill. Many had to live on hominy but as luck would have it I and one of my neighbors not having much to do concluded to improve our leisure time in getting in our winter's meal, that we might have time to hunt. We lay in as much as we could find room for, but when pinching times came we had plenty of neighbors, who borrowed and continued borrowing till we were put to shift ourselves. Living in the timber we fared tolerably well for fire wood, but those who lived in the prairie suffered severely, for they had to burn rails and any thing they could come across that would make a fire. I heard of one man who lived about a mile from timber who had to burn the puncheons, sleeper, clapboards and joists of his house. My poor old mother had to burn several hundred rails, and as soon as a track was broken I hauled her some wood, though at five miles distance. Spring coming on I rented a farm adjoining the place where I lived. I put in this spring about twenty five acres of corn and raised a noble crop. There was a great stir among the people this spring, for the Indians broke out about a hundred miles from where we lived and volunteers were raised to go out and subdue them. There was no need of a draft, for more volunteers turned out than were called for. They all met at Boardstown and then went to Rock Island to join Gen. GAINES, and his regulars. When they all got to the Indians' town they went on the other side of the river and then concluded to make a treaty with Gen. GAINES, and thus ended this affray. This being a sickly country, my mother and brother in law determined to move back; my mother to Ohio, and my brother in law to Kentucky. My wife also became dissatisfied, and said if they all went back she would not stay, so I concluded that as she humored me in leaving all her friends in Ohio to go with me, I, in turn, ought to humor her, by coming back. So we made sale of our property, and started. We got on board a steamboat at St. Louis, and were obliged to pay $4 per head, for grown people, and $2 for children, for passage to the falls of the Ohio.--- From the falls we got so much of our property as we had not sold hauled to the mouth of Beargrass, and there got on board another steamboat and came on to Cincinnati. We there got on board the steamboat, Gyan, which conveyed us to Maysville where my father in law's team was waiting for us with which we hauled our goods out to his house and there was great rejoicing, you may depend. I continued with my father in law some time, and then rented a house from THOMAS BOWLES, and lived there until the spring of 1832, and then concluded to go and build on the same tract of land that we lived on before going west. I did so, and turned into real hard labor, cleared a patch of ground, and worked at my trade to get money enough to buy a horse, for at this time I had neither horse nor cow. Hard work it was too you may depend, to keep my family in provisions, buy a horse, and have enough of grog money, for getting among my old comrades I must needs renew my acquaintance with the whiskey bottle. O yes, whiskey I must and would have. Thus I continued working and drinking and sinning, and yet my blessed Lord and Master, who is slow to anger, bore with it all. I struggled along until I got a right smart place open. My poor old mother settled on a piece of vacant land about four miles from where we lived, and she is living there at this time. On the 4th of Oct. in this year, my sister (ELIZABETH) was married to JOSEPH SHELTON. We still scrambled along and although at times it was pretty tough, yet thank God, what es did get we got honestly, and although rough enough, it was at least as food as I deserved. On the 5th of Dec. 1833, we were blessed with a son, our first male child, whom we named, JOHN P. GLASSCOCK. At that time we had four children and all in their right shape. Some time in this year my second sister departed this life to go home to rest. This is the child whom my mother took to raise when she was two weeks old. She seemed as dear to me as did any of my brothers or sisters. I made no difference, nor did my parents make any, that I could ever perceive. On the 4th of August, 1833, the Lord blessed my youngest sister, ELIZABETH SHELTON, with a fine son, and she called him, LEMUEL, after me. I still continued on my new place and cleared more or less ground every season, for the Lord bore with us and gave us our health, so that every thing around us seemed to prosper; and yet, we still continued in wickedness and rebellion against our Lord and Master, Jesus Christ, who gave himself for us that we might live. I might go on and dwell on the mercies of the Lord, but I will advise those who read these lines to search the scriptures for their own satisfaction, and if there be any who hear these lines read, and can not read the scriptures for themselves, let me persuade you, as a friend, to go to meeting and hear the precious gospel preached while you have the chance, lest you meet with the same misfortune that your unworthy writer has fallen into and be deprived of the blessing of hearing the gospel preached. When I had this blessed opportunity, I did not make a good use of it, for many others, I preferred the grocery and tavern to the church. O wretched man! that would thus go on in the broad road to destruction, having the devil for his preacher and the world and whiskey for his God. It makes me tremble to look back and see how I have been sinning, so many years, against a holy, just and upright God. Yet he bore all this and more, for I would get drunk and sometimes fight and was not very easily handled unless very drunk. I was very good natured when drunk save when imposed upon and if obliged to fight I fought with all my might, and never did I have to cry enough but once since I became of age, and since that time I have bad seven fights and some of them very bard ones. But my dear readers, this thing of fighting is poor business, and it is hateful in the eyes of God. We still continued to live at the same place and by this time had got a right smart farm opened so that we could live tolerably well, by hard scuffling. I worked hard and still continued drinking and sinning against my maker. O it is wonderful, that God will bear with such miserable, sinful creatures! Yet he bears it all, and showers down blessings upon us with out number, and gives us warning to flee the wrath to come in many ways, sometimes, by sending afflictions on us or our children, our relations or dearest friends; at other times, by sudden deaths or night visions; we are warned in many ways, and yet will not take heed until it be eternally to late. During the fall of 1835, there was a great uproar among the squatters that lived on this land, for there was every now and then a land jobber coming around, pretending to own it , and trying to get them all under rent. This was a hard matter for them to do, for some of the squatters were very stubborn. There were forty five families of them and all too poor to go to law, which, in fact they had no right to do, having no right save that of possession, nor do I believe the land jobbers had a much better right though they produced some sort of a title, which, of course, was sufficient to overthrow a squatter's claim. For my part, I scarcely knew what to do, for I had labored as well as a great many others and had cleared considerable land and received but little benefit, as yet, for my labor. I did not like to give it up. I resolved to quit clearing, but determined to hold fast as long as possible, and not be scared at trifles. I did hold on for a year after all the rest except two had rented. So they went around hunting the corners with some of their lickspittles, pretending they wanted to buy, and I believe some of them were partners with the jobbers, but were afraid to own it for fear of catching a drubbing, for they would persuade those who held out to come under rent.

In the fall of 24, a curious circumstance happened to one of these land jobbers living in this settlement, which undoubtedly put a stop to his career, for he was going about, trying to bring the people under rent, and taking the bread out of the children's mouths, and distressing the poor that lived on the land. The circumstance is this, somebody was so kind to this gentleman, that they made him a coffin and took it to him. This was shocking news indeed, for a man to have his coffin made and taken to him and he alive and in perfect health. It is said the horrid sight was first discovered by his son in law, who was living with him. This man made a practice of going or sending to Maysville market once or twice a week, and being busy that morning, sent his wife, a while before day. There being some two or three fences of bars to go through, he went with her to let her through the plantation out into the main road. On his return home at a pair of bars, between a quarter and a half mile from the house he made a discovery of the coffin, which, he says, was not there as he went out. I do suppose the man was prodigiously frightened, and it is said, the little man ran home about as quickly as it is possible for one of his size to do it. When he got to the house he was so much exhausted as to have nearly fainted, and was some time unable to tell what had happened him. This alarmed the old gentleman, and I do believe was the principal cause of his quieting the land jobbing business, for I never beard of his being engaged in it afterwards.

In the spring of 1836, these land jobbers that pretended to own the land having finished their surveying, and got all the people to come under rent, came to me with one or two of their lickspittles and asked me if I wanted to rent. I told them I believed not at present, for I had a small place here of my own, which, I thought, would do me awhile longer, as my family was yet small. I had been taking a dram and was in tolerably good plight to talk to them. The owner, as he called himself, Mr. WALTER DUNE, said, "Sir, if you will not come under rent I will fetch the Sheriff and throw your property out of the house." "Very well sir, when you go at that I will help you," responded I. He was kind enough, however, not to come that year. I put in a tolerably large crop of corn and as the Lord would have it, raised a noble crop and had no rent to pay for it, for I sold a part of it as soon as it would bear to be gathered and the remainder I hauled to my brother in law, HENRY SWEARINGEN'S. I raised that year, twenty on bushels of Orleans beans which sold $1.12 per bushel. I raised a considerable chance of potatoes and a food many pickle cucumbers and sold them. All my neighbors except JAMES HUGHES, had bound themselves to come under a rent of $2.50 per acre. This they began to dislike as they saw that HUGHES and myself had no rent to pay. They then wished they had not rented, but it was too late, for when they rented they gave possession at once. I continued on this place until the next spring and, at sugar making, turned in and made as much sugar as I could. God blessed us all with good health, and he also blessed us by sending us another son, whom we named SAMUEL A. GLASSCOCK. He was born on the 31st day of August, 1835. When the spring came on, my old father in law persuaded me to move my family up to his house and have no more dispute with the land jobbers. I did so. About this time ROBT. LATTY was going out to Illinois, and wanted me to go with him to help build a steam mill, and offered me very good wages. My old mother in law and father in law were anxious for me to go and see that part of Illinois, as I had never been up the Illinois river. So they said they would take care of my family, if I would go, for they had heard such great accounts from that country, that they wanted to know the straight of it. My wife being willing I concluded to go. So I got together my tools and clothes, and agreeably to a previous appointment, met Col. LATTY, at Aberdeen, on the morning of the 7th of April, 1837. We started for Cincinnati on board the steamboat, Swift shore. When we arrived there we learned the engine was not done and would not be for ten days. So LATTY gave ANDREW LYTLE and myself the choice to stay there or go on. So we concluded to go on, and got on board the Paris, bound for St. Louis. We had a very pleasant trip and a quick one, for the waters were up in beautiful order for steam boats. When we got there we shipped on board the steamboat, exchange, which was going up the Illinois river to Peru. There were a great many passengers on board this boat. Numbers had been to New Orleans and several families were moving to that country.

We continued our journey up the river, which was very high, having overflown its banks in many places, and entirely covered many fine bottoms. This put LYTLE and me out of heart, for the boat stopped at a certain warehouse, where a town was laid out, to unload some articles, and they were obliged to scaffold up to take out the goods, and we were told that the water was at this place twelve or ourteen miles across. Had an opportunity offered at this time, we should certainly have returned to Ohio, but none presenting itself, we pushed on. We landed at a little town called Henry about two miles below the place where the mill was to be built. There was not the first lick struck towards the mill as yet, although LATTY had told us the frame was to be up and ready when he should come along with the engine, but a dispute arising among them, they had done nothing towards it. I went to work a few days after my arrival, for wages were very good; $20 a month for a common laboring hands; from $1.50 to $2 a day for mechanics. I thought this was the prettiest country I had ever seen. LATTY was so long coming that we became quite uneasy about him, and I planted some potatoes and cabbage and other vegetables, as I then thought I would move my family to this place. Such time as I was not attending my vegetables I worked at the mill or something else, for there was always plenty of work to do; as the people living here are the laziest I ever saw. The land in this prairie has not yet come into market, and there are but few who have deeded land. They hold the land by making some little improvement on it and then claim it as their own. And this is the way they get along in that country. This is the greatest country for fish I ever saw. The man with whom I lived, and myself set a trot line and caught a prodigious lot of fish. We caught one catfish that measured nine inches between the eyes and weighted 125 lbs. We many mornings took off the line a number of fish, weighing from twenty to fifty pounds; this country is chiefly settled with New Yorkers, and real skinners they are too. When a stranger comes among them, they flock around him like swarm of bees, especially, if they think there is money to be made out of him, and each one having one of the before described claims endeavors to cheat him into the buying of one, to support their laziness, for work they will not if they can help it. Col. LATTY came on at last with the engine, which weighed 7300 lbs. You may depend it was a great disappointment to him to find that nothing had been done towards the mill. All the parties concerned soon got together, settled their disputes. And employed a man to frame the mill. They went to work in fine spirits and all things went on smoothly. They laid off a town which was called Webster, after Daniel Webster, who passing through that country called to see it. Learning his intention of visiting the place some time before hand, the proprietors of the town sent off and got some power and for want of a cannon charged a stump to give him a welcome gun. When the boats came up there were two lashed together, escorted by many others, landed to take a view of the city. He spoke to us all as he came up the bank and said, that it was really as pretty a site for a city as he had ever seen, and hoped, as it had been named after him, that it might prosper. Business went on quite flourishing and LATTY sold lots very fast and at a high rate. There was a great strife among the purchasers to obtain the lots nearest the steamboat landing, but for my part I concluded if the town did prosper, the main steamboat landing would be at the mouth of the creek. I went to LATTY and asked him what he would take for the lot. He said he would let me have it for $200, and give me two years to pay it in, and take it out in work. I thought that at the wages I was then getting I could soon pay for it, and therefore took it. The rest of the boys took their lots as near the public square as they could get them, and laughed at me for picking my lot in such an out of the way place. I told them to never mind, that if the town ever went on that was the place. And in the course of a short time I sold my lot for $250. The man, who bought of me, said, if he only had the lot adjoining this one, he would be satisfied. I said nothing but went to LATTY and told him I wanted to buy the lot adjoining mine on the river. He told me I could have it. I immediately returned to the man and told him I could sell him the lot he so much desired. After some conversation he agreed to give his obligation to LATTY for the two lots and me a yoke of oxen and $25 for my bargain. Now the time came on that I laid by my corn and I could work for wages, which I did and made money very fast, but spent a good deal more than I need have done; my dram of coarse, I must have.--- about this time the carpenters had got the mill ready to raise, and a heavy raising it was, for it took us two days with as many as could get round it.