Adams County, Ohio Military History
Civil War: One Hundred Twenty-Ninth O.V.I.
This was a six-months regiment. Adams County was not represented in the field or staff, but all of Company G was from Adams County, except the second lieutenant and twenty-two men from Union County. David Urie was captain; Nelson W. Evans, first lieutenant; William H. Robinson, second lieutenant. The company was mustered in 10 Aug 1863, and mustered out 08 Mar 1864. On 10 Aug 1863, it was sent to Camp Nelson KY. On 20 Aug 1863, it started on the march to Cumberland Gap where it arrived 08 Sep 1863. On 09 Sep 1863, Gen. Frazier surrendered the Gap with 2,400 prisoners and the 129th was relegated to garrison duty there with scouting. 02 Dec 1863, it was sent to Black Fox Ford on the Clinch River, where it had a skirmish with Longstreet's forces. It remained on the flank of Longstreet's army, with occasional skirmishes, until he returned to Virginia. The regiment then returned to Cumberland Gap, whence it was sent home at the expiration of its service. The following died in the service: Alexander Davidson, 28 Oct 1863 at Cumberland Gap; John H. Johnson, corporal, 19 Feb 1864 at Marysville OH; Henry D. Kirkpatrick, 29 Nov 1863 at Cumberland Gap; William S. McCreight, 25 Feb 1864 at Camp Nelson KY; Corporal Waite, 28 Oct 1863 at Cumberland Gap TN.
This company did some hard marching, much starving, and was under fire several times, but fortunately no one out of the company was wounded or killed, though the rebels lost sixty-five killed or wounded in making the charge at Black Fox Ford. Martin V. B. Kennedy, first sergerant, resides at Zanesville; James P. Wasson is deceased; James W. Baldridge resides at Cherry Fork; James T. Gaston and Sanford A. McCullough at Tranquility; Martin F. Crissman at Manchester; James A. Young at Seaman, and Napolean B. West, at Portsmouth OH.
From A HISTORY OF ADAMS COUNTY, OHIO
from its earliest settlement to the present time including character sketches of the prominent persons identified with the first century of the county's growth and containing numerous engravings and illustrations
Nelson W. Evans and Emmons B. Stivers [1900, West Union OH]